Panamerican Proceeding

Lend me an ear and you will hear the rants and raves of this volunteer. "Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer" says Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle (parden the pun), but perhaps no one is crazier either. Why do we care so much? Herein lies a glimpse of my Pan-American experience.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama Este, Panama

The proceeding 'Panamerican' is a Master's International Student and Peace Corps Volunteer. Disclaimer: Contents are the author's viewpoints only, (need to stress only), and many may have been written on particularly poor days.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Remote controls and bathrooms

I'm on the way to another Peace Corps conference. I'm bringing Eduardo, a strapping 20 year-old workaholic so we can plan a composting latrine project for next year. He's so excited (and nervous) it's hilarious. In our hotel room I taught him how to use the remote control, and he asked me what the bathroom was. He said he stayed in a hotel once in Costa Rica but didn't watch tv because he didn't know how to turn it on (apparently it didn't have a bathroom?). We then went to a serve-yourself restaurant and he forgot to pay he was so nervous.

This past week I stole the mason from another volunteer's site to begin working again. I bought a dump truck load of sand straight from the river (don't ask about permits) and the whole community spent 4 straight days carrying it from the road to our site (half-way to the tank). It's about a 30min hike without 50lbs strapped to your forehead. On Tuesday I made 3 trips, broke for lunch, and made 3 more in the afternoon. Eduardo didn't eat lunch and made 12 trips in total. I had socks and boots, he didn't. He carries about twice as much as me and I weigh prolly twice as much as him. But that's his world, and now we are in mine...full of remote controls, restaurants, and conferences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home