Panamerican Proceeding

Lend me an ear and you will hear the rants and raves of this volunteer. "Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer" says Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle (parden the pun), but perhaps no one is crazier either. Why do we care so much? Herein lies a glimpse of my Pan-American experience.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama Este, Panama

The proceeding 'Panamerican' is a Master's International Student and Peace Corps Volunteer. Disclaimer: Contents are the author's viewpoints only, (need to stress only), and many may have been written on particularly poor days.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

What to do if you're not working? ANYTHING!

Ok, so I know that last entry was kinda a rant. Yeah? Anyways, here's what's been going on meanwhile...

Beach on the San San Pond Sak Nature Reserve.

The whole Bocas crew at our last regional meeting.
Fishing on a raft with a hand line.
Colin says he could draw this a million different ways. I agree, but I just took a pic instead. This might be a wall mount.
Four of us helped look for sea turtles and patrol the beaches the other night in San San Pond Sak Nature Reserve. We came upon her around 1am, watched her lay her eggs, then helped her back to sea. Went to bed at 4am. Very unique experience.
She probably laid close to 30 eggs, then dug a fake hole to confuse predators.
Climbing the tower at Ryu's site. It was supposedly built by Americans during World War II. Notice the shear joy on my face.
Up close and personal with this 3-clawed sloth which fell out of a tree as I was walking.
Cliff jumping at Adam's site. I made him count to 3, then I sort of slipped as I jumped, and completely belly-flopped and slapped my face. Good form, good form. Once was enough.
Adam used to be my closest neighbor, and he helped me out a lot during my first year. I already miss the guy.
Took a spill at Ryu's site (not from the tower thank God). In an unrelated story, I managed to start my composting latrine on fire yesterday. I was burning a box full of ants, thought the fire was out so I went to bed. Woke up at 5am and fought the blaze all morning by running to the creek with my 5 gal bucket. Apparently they were fire ants...

2 Comments:

Blogger Wakan Sadhana said...

Wow...your service has seemed to be full of exciting and not-so-exciting adventures. I am sorry to hear that it has been a little rough lately...and it makes it especially hard when your neighbors and support leave. I often got frustrated with my communities lack of interest in working on projects, but I did find that other communities near-by were more receptive...and that actually led to me getting closer neighbors. A great form of excercise is hiking...and let me tell you...I did a lot of it (as I am sure you probably do too). I really hope that everything starts to look up for you in the near future...again looking back all of the bad times seem a lot more entertaining! Remember to smile....

1:46 PM  
Blogger paulzy said...

Hair? Seriously? Hair is overrated brother.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home