Panamerican Proceeding

Lend me an ear and you will hear the rants and raves of this volunteer. "Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer" says Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle (parden the pun), but perhaps no one is crazier either. Why do we care so much? Herein lies a glimpse of my Pan-American experience.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama Este, Panama

The proceeding 'Panamerican' is a Master's International Student and Peace Corps Volunteer. Disclaimer: Contents are the author's viewpoints only, (need to stress only), and many may have been written on particularly poor days.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

¿Vale la pena?

Peace Corps Panama quarterly puts out a newsletter. My buddy Adam recently had me rolling with one of his columns, click here, then April - June 2007 under the pic, page 42. You can view older editions here.

The conference really went well. My guy got a lot out of it, even though he was completely overwhelmed at times. My patience got a work-out, as did many's, but it was worth it. An inspiring, amazing new friend of mine says, "Vale la pena," or "it's worth the embarrassment," and I'm glad my guy was willing to take the chance to attend.

I'm now on the way home hoping a package comes in tomorrow, and hoping I can finally design this aqueduct of mine. This part is always the hardest; going back home after a week with friends...

I can't begin to explain this emotional roller coaster - the burning behind the sternum, meeting eyes with a fellow volunteer and feeling their pain, joy, goals, loneliness, and their smile begging to break. The hardest become the softest, the weak become the strong. We are walking on top of a wall, and the slightest insult, compliment, song, dream, expression, or reaction sends us plunging to either side - for better or for worse. What do they see when they look into my eyes? ¿Vale la pena?

1 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

I remember a guy at COS saying "I've learned I never want to be alone again!"

So true but I think it will Vale la pena

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home