Panamerican Proceeding

Lend me an ear and you will hear the rants and raves of this volunteer. "Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer" says Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle (parden the pun), but perhaps no one is crazier either. Why do we care so much? Herein lies a glimpse of my Pan-American experience.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama Este, Panama

The proceeding 'Panamerican' is a Master's International Student and Peace Corps Volunteer. Disclaimer: Contents are the author's viewpoints only, (need to stress only), and many may have been written on particularly poor days.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Photos from Sept. (ok, at least the first two days)

Ok, so I´ve been sitting at this computer for 1:26:8 now and blogger keeps dropping my pictures. So this is as far as I got. On the left are some local rugrats from Valle de Junquito where I spent last week building composting latrines. The boy in the middle is called Chi Chi cuz the word for small in Ngabera is Chi and the word for baby is also Chi. Hence the boy is called ChiChi. The boy on the far right is Roger, he likes to read Newsweeks (or at least look at the pictures.) And on the right in the blue is Leidi who is an excellent sister and dance partner. She´s 9 years old and shares my birthday (or so her sister said because she couldn´t remember.) Leidi is also really interested in brushing teeth, and hopes she can buy a toothbrush some day. The girl on the left is wicked with a machete. Below, the Michigan Tech crew (and Kevin) are building a composting latrine for Ryu´s and my host family. Matt and Josephine were great instructors. A composting like this costs about $150, takes a few days to build, and requires weekly and monthly maintenence. You also have to use something to cleanse yourself and a dry material for the compost. All of these are perfectly good reasons to keep pooping in the river.


Jessica was a local favorite among the kids, perhaps because she knew the actual rules for the name song. Jessica, Jessica, bobessica, banana fana fofessica, fe fi fonana, Jessica!


The chi chis in Nutivi practiced for two days for this amazing version of Old McDonald. Only it was in Spanish, wasn´t exactly Old McDonald, but a lot cooler. If I was tech savvy like Luke and not pissed off at computers right now, I could post a video of this as well. It´s really cute.

Ok, so this is it for now. In a couple of weeks I´m going to the city where I know of some fast computers to handle more pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home