Panamerican Proceeding

Lend me an ear and you will hear the rants and raves of this volunteer. "Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer" says Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle (parden the pun), but perhaps no one is crazier either. Why do we care so much? Herein lies a glimpse of my Pan-American experience.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama Este, Panama

The proceeding 'Panamerican' is a Master's International Student and Peace Corps Volunteer. Disclaimer: Contents are the author's viewpoints only, (need to stress only), and many may have been written on particularly poor days.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Blogger, ayudame por favor!

Ok, so I created this blogger thingy with the great intentions that I would get to a computer, rant and rave for a while, and it would speed up the internet cafe process. Actually what happens, I get to a computer, answer all my emails and by the time I get to blogger I have nothing to say. I feel like I´m repeating. I´m in the city of Bocas del Toro right now which is super touristy. It´s our day off, and man, I needed it. We went to the village of Nutivi for the past week by first riding 7 hours in a bus, spending a night, waking up at 6am to catch another bus for 3 hours. Then we rented a dugout canoe and traveled up a river for 4 hours. Wooden canoe + 12 people + the luggage for 12 people + 2 guides + other passengers = a completely safe, common, easy, and relaxing mode of transportation. I shouldn´t say common...it actually is very common.

So if you are sick heading to a place like Nutivi, the chances are that you won´t feel better until you leave. My birthday was spent sleeping on a wooden floor from 1pm til the next day in probably 100 degree tempurature trying to shake my fever. But it broke and the wooden floor didn´t, and everything worked out in the end. The ride back was better cuz we used the current, til we got to the ocean and met the storm. Being soaking wet dodging lighting strikes - also a very safe method of transportation. Calmaté mamá, estoy bien.

So I´ve decided to carry a blogger list for the next week. Eleven of us will be out building composting latrines between Almirante and Changuinola. Everytime I think, ¨Dude man, that´s going on the blog!¨ I´m gonna actually do it. ¡Espera y ve!

As a side note, the Bocas clan of hombres has officially started the first moustache contest. This is bringing back some horrible memories. Pictures will inevitably follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home