Panamerican Proceeding

Lend me an ear and you will hear the rants and raves of this volunteer. "Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer" says Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle (parden the pun), but perhaps no one is crazier either. Why do we care so much? Herein lies a glimpse of my Pan-American experience.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama Este, Panama

The proceeding 'Panamerican' is a Master's International Student and Peace Corps Volunteer. Disclaimer: Contents are the author's viewpoints only, (need to stress only), and many may have been written on particularly poor days.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Mmmm.....cherries.

Ok, so this is some guerrilla blogging if I´ve ever seen one. Let me cover the following topics: collegey, the critters on my leg, Mother's Day, podcasts, moving, springs, others.

1. Collegey. First of all, it's not a word. In fact, don't ever read it again. Someone lately called my blog collegey. As or of pertaining to college? I've attended 5 colleges in the past 7 years and I have no idea what that means. I think the word he/she/it was searching for was ¨Jejune.¨

2. The critters on my legs have met their match - and that´s two admittedly awkward shots in the a**, 24 pills to be taken every 8 hours, 36 pills I need to ask about tomorrow, four packets of some mixture, and creme baby! This creme is awesome, it smells like cherries, no lie. I like putting it on my upper lip, it covers my rank.

3. Friday is Mother's Day! Have you bought your Panamanian Mom a present yet? I suggest buying a chicken like I'm going to do. You'll make your mom's day and eat well that night - and Saturday morning.

4. Darn you Adam. (Who says ¨darn you?¨ I'm trying to clean this up for my sobrinos.) Adam introduced me to podcasts with the disclaimer ¨You won´t read as much in your site. But they are awesome!¨Podcasts are awesome, and awesome doesn´t even do it justice. Glorious? Imagine a frustrating day hiking through the jungle 2 hours one way with critters on your legs falling multiple times and finding out your spring is not a spring (see no 6). Not so bad when you can return home, plop into your hammock and listen to some ¨Wait, Wait Don´t Tell Me¨and other NPR masterpieces. I hated PTI in the states, here it´s such a breath to listen to Wilburn and Kornheiser go at it. Podcasts rule Adam.

5. So not knowing how long the critters were going to stay, I packed up all my stuff and moved out. I was half way there anyway. Consider it another present to my house mom. Yup, that's right, the week 6 move out. But I got PC permission, na na na na poo poo. Now I just gotta figure out how to eat, where to go to the bathroom, and where to take a shower. But I got the sleeping part down, I've always been good at that, right P?

6. My spring, perched a convenient 250 meters above the town and supposed to supply my community with continuous, potable water, is not a spring. It´s an underground creek. It's not consistent and probably contaminated. If you wanna come over here and tell my community that, you're more than welcome. I tried. It didn't go so hot. Of course they wanna use it anyway because it doesn't look as brown as the rest of the water.

7. Others. No hay mas puntos asuntos.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sleeping has always been among your more advanced skills, even when unintentionally sharing your bed with friends. Or, now that I think about it, sleeping when stealing your friend's bed because, darn it, yours is just too high in the air.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I counted four colleges- what's the fifth?
-T

5:51 PM  
Blogger Unima Kwaribo said...

UW-Eau Claire

9:30 AM  
Blogger Unima Kwaribo said...

UW-Marathon County
UW-Madison
Michigan Tech
Technical Univesity of Budapest

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home