Panamerican Proceeding

Lend me an ear and you will hear the rants and raves of this volunteer. "Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer" says Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle (parden the pun), but perhaps no one is crazier either. Why do we care so much? Herein lies a glimpse of my Pan-American experience.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama Este, Panama

The proceeding 'Panamerican' is a Master's International Student and Peace Corps Volunteer. Disclaimer: Contents are the author's viewpoints only, (need to stress only), and many may have been written on particularly poor days.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Hey

So I´ve been driving myself crazy. These last couple of days I´ve been super cranky. Not for any one good reason, but for a million little ones. It´s just hard work. (Sound familiar?) I´ve been daydreaming blog entries lately, and let me tell ya, the titles were a lot cooler than ¨Hey.¨ The problem is, I took me about 3 days worth of work to get to the city, another 3 days to get through all my inboxes, and I haven´t even begun posting pictures which usually takes another 2-3 days.

A typical day:
I wake up too early by my standards and ridiculously late by theirs (7am). I run down the hill to the latrine, usually praying that I will make it there in time. I clean the latrine everytime before I use it. I walk back up the hill, hoping they won´t ask me to work. I stall and search for the BBC on my shortwave. Sometimes I convince myself to do pushups and situps. I take a bucket shower, never really feeling clean. I eat breakfast, usually consisting of boiled green banana soup with a possible hunk of hard chicken (from the day before) or fish. I have no idea where the fish comes from. I dress, regarding the rashes on my shins. I participate in activities, stay in my room and read, study Spanish somewhere, putz around the house, visit other houses, go crazy. Most days I eat lunch. Most days I take another shower. Most days I´m ready to escape to my room and not come out by 6pm. Some nights I teach a little English by candle light. I sleep in a hammock, I love my hammock.

I´ve survived The Day for the Dead, Independence from Columbia, The Los Santos Uprising, an American Missionary in my village showing a propaganda movie, 2 Panama Verde meetings, 2 Aquaduct meetings, and several stupid questions. My community has survived me and my even stupidier questions and my horrible answers. I´ve given an impromtu speech in Spanish at a cemetary, lead a prayer for the evangelicals, sang in English, lead activities for children, and explained the plight of the Native American. I´ve visited every house and wrote down every single person that lives here. This week I´m visiting agencies, making a map of my town from GPS points, collecting garbage and batteries with my Panama Verde group, making tomales as a fundraiser, visisting the island for the Foundation of Bocas Del Toro, and the laundry. I´m currently reading a book about globalization but it was written in 1990 by the World Bank so it´s more comical than anything else.

I was a little surprised to hear that Daniel Ortega won, not at all surprised about the dems retaking the house, and it´s about time Bush got rid of Rummy. For the first time in 6 years, the U.S. seemed to unite at the polls. (Insert lame duck joke here.) Ok, let me work on those pictures now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home