Panamerican Proceeding

Lend me an ear and you will hear the rants and raves of this volunteer. "Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer" says Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle (parden the pun), but perhaps no one is crazier either. Why do we care so much? Herein lies a glimpse of my Pan-American experience.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama Este, Panama

The proceeding 'Panamerican' is a Master's International Student and Peace Corps Volunteer. Disclaimer: Contents are the author's viewpoints only, (need to stress only), and many may have been written on particularly poor days.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Pictures from my site visit

  • Ok, so Blogger was throwing a fit and I gotta eat so these are the only pictures for now. Starting out with my future house. This was Bolo´s old house that the Padres de Families built for him. It´s small, but it´ll work great.
  • I apologize now if this formatting gets all messed up...it seems to always do that. Here is the 2 room school. The floor is a concreteish type dirt and each classroom has a chalkboard and desks. One room is for grades 1-3 and the other is for 4-6.
    Apparently a geography lesson, the kids used grass and mud to map a replica map of the world. I don´t know where Australia is either.
    This is the comedor which translates to something like a community kitchen. Only 1 year old, it doesn´t actually serve much. The ´kitchen´has a fire pit and a little closet that has some salt and a few soup packet flavors in it. All the firewood in the foreground was hauled by yours truly. And I have the ant bites on my arm to prove it.
    Ok, so I´m hiking through the jungle with these two guys and I look over and see this carved out boat. I figure the original diameter must have been 6-8´or more. So it was built by this 60 something man but first rough cutting it with a chainsaw, then carving it out wtih an ax. Now he has to take a hand planer and smooth it down. The process has already taken many months. Naturally I wonder, ¨How the hell is he gonna get this outta here?¨(It´s about an hour hike uphill to the road, then about 10 miles to the sea) He figured 60 men, 30 on each side, could help carry this thing. I think I´m included in that estimate.
    These are my two host brothers Jose (13), Milciado (12), and my sis Yanilke (9). They are standing on the table they used to dry their cacao beans before selling them for 52 cents/pound. They carry huge sacks, probably 60 pounds or more of these beans the hour uphill hike to the road and take them to the next city to sell to the co-op. The co-op claims organic status, but the truth is no one can afford fertilizer or pesticides.
  • All of Quebrada Cacao sits in a basin of mountains that rise above 100-200 meters. They have a very eerie whisper to them at night.
    This is my shower. A small pipe brings water in from a nearby stream and fills up the bucket when not in use. Then a big gringo comes in and uses a smaller bucket and splashes water all over. Notice there is no door. Most people in town just bathe in the river since this is the only running water in town.
    This will be my house for the next 3 months. It´s rather big and I have my own room with a curtain for a door. The family has something like 12 kids with grandchildern older than the youngest ones. Actually, I´m not sure how many kids they have...but it´s a lot.

    My host brother Jose chopping wood before he has to head off to school. I walked over that splinter pile barefoot like him once and got mauled by fire ants.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wakan Sadhana said...

I can't believe I missed these earlier posts! I love that you lived with my host family... they were great, but the living situation was a little overwhelming at first...there are so many of them! Love the pics!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home