Panamerican Proceeding

Lend me an ear and you will hear the rants and raves of this volunteer. "Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer" says Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle (parden the pun), but perhaps no one is crazier either. Why do we care so much? Herein lies a glimpse of my Pan-American experience.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama Este, Panama

The proceeding 'Panamerican' is a Master's International Student and Peace Corps Volunteer. Disclaimer: Contents are the author's viewpoints only, (need to stress only), and many may have been written on particularly poor days.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Pictures from Sept

So anybody that was thinking that I´m a great volunteer and all I´ve been doing is working, check out nice pics from Las Lajas Beach. After two weeks of working we all chipped in (I was out of money at this point) and rented a cabin on the beach on our way home. I felt like a true volunteer as I had to save $12 to get home and the rest I could drink on. I had my fair share of brews, and even bummed a few from the rich business volunteers and woke up to find exactly $12 in my pocket. Thanks Liz for the $5 to eat lunch with, I forgot that I would have to eat at some point in the day.
Sea turtle eggs.

Mo taking a picture of the sunset.

Ryu went surfing. But the true question is: Is he walking towards me or away from me?

Ryu and I thought the group was staying at a different resort a mile down the beach. Need less to say, we ended up walking that mile and back with our packs. In Valle de Junquito we learned some sweet Ngabe dances and all the Gringos offered themselves as clowns to entertain the community. But we taught them the chicken dance and hokey pokey so I guess it works both ways...wait a sec...they were laughing at us during those too.

The 3 sideways kids were my bro and sises in Junquito. From left to right: Elvin (11), Leidi (9), and Beilke (10). Elvin loved math problems, Leidi was my dancing partner, and Beilke had a laugh that I had to laugh to. They are sweet kids. In the background was my uncle? but I never really figured out his name. The other little girl was sporting a ¨Bling Bling¨shirt. How ironically sad.

Colin (aka ¨Big Easy¨) was asked to help prepare the pig for his new community. Worth noting, Colin is a vegetarian. But being the graciously awkard bad ass that he is, Colin grabbed the machéte and just started wacking. Man, there was pig guts flying everywhere! Colin soon had blood of pig all over his hands, but I think he earned some respect. The women then preceeded to half-smoke, half-cook it over the fire in banana leaves. It was funny, when I came up with my camera, they all ran to put the towels on their heads. I think it helps complete the picture too...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home