Panamerican Proceeding

Lend me an ear and you will hear the rants and raves of this volunteer. "Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer" says Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle (parden the pun), but perhaps no one is crazier either. Why do we care so much? Herein lies a glimpse of my Pan-American experience.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama Este, Panama

The proceeding 'Panamerican' is a Master's International Student and Peace Corps Volunteer. Disclaimer: Contents are the author's viewpoints only, (need to stress only), and many may have been written on particularly poor days.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Who am I?

Ok, so we had a former PCV in today to mess with our minds. Actually it was very enlightening but a hard day. He posed 3 questions for us to answer...

Who am I? What do I do? What is my work?

After pondering for not long enough, I answer:
1) I am a confused dreamer who hasn´t woken up yet.
2) I participate in patterns either voluntarily or involuntarily.
3) I seek personal satisfaction through compliments from the less fortunate.

Number 1 was the hardest. I mean, when is the last time you´ve asked yourself, who the hell am I? First, I thought of all the things I like about me, then I thought of all the things I don´t like. After that, I couldn´t really think cuz I kept tossing around my bad attributes. Then he had us list values we think are important. I didn´t really write values, but instead wrote what I feel is important to share with somebody. I wrote:

friendship, silence, eye contact, adreneline, pain, happiness

I think to make a good friend, the two of you either have to experience an extreme high or low together. Then he had us write our skills. Man, this was hard. I honestly don´t think I´m good at anything, just one of those guys that bounce off of people, knock others down, and eventually I´m still standing. So my skills include:

not reading people correctly, quitting things, gaining weight, making excuses, complaining, and wishing for things without doing anything

This session was a hard look in the mirror. I realized that I´m scared. I am downright scared and there is nothing I can do about it except smile and try to maintain my patience and composure. But I´ll tell you one thing, once you admit your scared, things start looking a whole lot better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home