Panamerican Proceeding

Lend me an ear and you will hear the rants and raves of this volunteer. "Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer" says Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle (parden the pun), but perhaps no one is crazier either. Why do we care so much? Herein lies a glimpse of my Pan-American experience.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama Este, Panama

The proceeding 'Panamerican' is a Master's International Student and Peace Corps Volunteer. Disclaimer: Contents are the author's viewpoints only, (need to stress only), and many may have been written on particularly poor days.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Comida Conundrum

So I ran out of my Peace Corps salary last Tuesday the 19th. No problem, I'd take out some personal cash with my other ATM card. "Sorry we cannot process your transaction at this time. Please contact your banking institution." I had $6.50 in my pocket, 3 packs of Ramen noodles, 2 spagettis, and 3 sauce packs in my house. I'd be paid on the 28th. Returned to my site, spending $1.50 on bus fare.

Wednesday, 20th - One Ramen consumed
Thursday, 21st - Another Ramen
Friday, 22nd - Ate a pack of spagetti and one sauce pack
Saturday, 23rd - I go to town to try another ATM spending $.50 on a bus. Now have $4.50. Bought a Pepsi thinking the ATM would work. It didn't. To make a long story and many phone calls with my banking institution short, my magnetic strip was broken. I bought $1 worth of juice packets and remembered a fellow PCV owed me $20. I called him urgently. Returned to site, spending another $.50. Forgot I made a deal with a local teen that if she washed my clothes every week I'd pay her bus fare to school next year. One bucket of clothes = $3.00. Made another spagetti packet and one sauce. The only money I have is the $0.47 that I found at the bottom of my suitcase so I bought another spagetti packet in the local store for $.45.
Sunday, 24th - I have $0.02 and only one pack of Ramen left and don't get paid for another 4 days. I make the hour hike to meet the volunteer and collect my $20.
Monday, 25th - Bum food from houses I visited.
Tuesday, 26th - Today. I'm rich! I have $20! I'm going to pay a little bit for this computer, buy lunch at a restaurant, and enough groceries for 3 more days saving $7 for my bus ride to David on Friday where I can hopefully collect my Peace Corps salary from another ATM - if it works.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wakan Sadhana said...

Hello Brandon, my name is Wakan and I was a volunteer in group 55. Obviously I did not make it to my COS, but I still feel very much a part of our group. We did our training in Quebrada Cacao, and I stayed with the family up on the hill. I can't remember their name but the Dad is one of the two main brothers of the town, and one of his sons is a teacher and is working on teaching Ngobe. They live right up the hill behind the cooking hut behind the school. Do you know who I am talking about... could you saludar then for me. They were such an amazing host family for the 10 days we spent there. I spent many a wonderful hour eating pineapple and playing guitar with Marco on your front porch. I hope you are enjoying it!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Wakan Sadhana said...

Hey Brandon! My name is Wakan and I was a volunteer with group 55. I obviously didn't make it to our COS, but I still feel very much a part of our group. We did our ag training in Quebrada Cacao and I stayed with a family up on the hill behind the cooking hut past the school. I just wanted to say that I love seeing pictures from Panama and I stumbled across your blog. I was hoping you might be able to saludar my family for me... I don't remember their names but the dad was one of the two main brothers, and the older son was a teacher and seems to be a community leader. I got pictures of them, but they are on Myspace. I hope you are enjoying your time in Panama...I spent many a wonderful hour on your porch eating pineapple and yuker with Marco. Anyway I just wanted to say hey...happy new year and all that jazz! Jatweita mare, wakan (beli bagibo in ngobere)

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home